1. “Who are you?” Take a few minutes to work around the group and give your best answer to this question about you.
2. John the Baptist was a man who knew his identity. Read through the following verses and make a list of all the ways the Bible describes this man of God.
3. Discussions surrounding identity, purpose, and our place in the world and the Kingdom bring spiritual gifts to mind. Below is a list of the spiritual gifts listed in the Bible. Which of these gifts describe you most? In what ways?
4. Read John 1:22-23 and Isaiah 40:3. What did John tell those questioning him? What did he say about his purpose, identity, and role?
5. How is John a picture of what our purpose and identity are supposed to be? In what way are all Christians to be a voice (or herald) of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords?
Applying the Message
1. On a scale of 1-10 (1=low: 10=high), rate yourself on the clarity you currently have regarding your purpose, gifts, or identity.
2. What next step of faith do you need to take in order to more fully surrender your life to God and move the above rating up? What will be required of you to become more of a voice for Jesus in this world?